Monday, June 28, 2010

The Amazment of American Minds

I am an African who has lived in the United States for about 10 years and through out all these years, the questions and comments that I still receive leave me at a loss for words and very frustrated. "So do you ride elephants in your back yard and hunt lions?" "Do y'all walk around naked all the time?" I mean I understand that the reason why people ask such STUPID questions is because of the perception given by the media. However, the media also shows a different side of Africa ALL the time. Whenever u see advertisements about AIDS in Africa, you don't see little children running around naked all over the place waving at the cameras.(ok so some of the kids are naked, but that's because the chose to be naked at that moment in time) You don't see the families of the AIDS victims sitting around in their "Mud Huts" naked talking to the people helping them out. The reason why I get angry at the STUPID questions is because America is supposed to be at the forefront of technology and information, yet it seems like the people living in this country do not know how to utilize their resources well. This lack of information I blame on the school system, but that's another blog. I come from a place that I happen to be very proud of. My country, Ghana,(Who just so happen to beat the US a few days ago in the World Cup 2-1,YAY! lol) is one of the few countries in Africa that trying their best to bring the country to the standards we see here in the states and I believe they have done a very good job so far. Ghana has the ONLY mall in West Africa. We do the same things that y'all do here there. We go clubbing, go to school, beach, church, house parties and we do it in clothes that people in this country can only dream of designing. We wear the same clothes y'all do here. We hold political elections, we have a president AND a parliament AND a king. We make all three systems work for us (all by the grace of GOD). Another thing that bothers me is the weather comments. Yea, Africa can get hot at times but not that hot and do you know that in Southern and South Africa it SNOWS? Yea like REAL SNOW! In Norther Ghana we get hail stones. And even when it gets hot we still have a cool breeze ALL the time. All you people who are constantly making rude comments and jokes about Africa I say this to you: 1, Get your facts straight before you come talking about my motherland and STOP being the ignorant loser who doesn't know how to use google. 2, I LOVE my continent and the way it works, if you don't like it well you can go jump off a bridge and kill yourself.






2 comments:

  1. PERFECT!! I couldn't have said this any better! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest i hate that too ! What i hate the most is when kids used to ask me : "are you african" ?! UGH ! that used to irk me !! Its like , does every black kid have to be african ???!

    So i sued to have to break it down like : well technically : they say all black people have african ancestors. however, my nationality is jamaican. Then they'd give me that blank stare after there done putting me on a platform, lmao !

    But anyway you have " a president AND a parliament AND a king " ?! WHOA ! thats different ! thats pretty damn cool, actually . . .

    ReplyDelete